Jump to Navigation

Can I help my parents immigrate to the United States?

Family connections are essential in many cultures for the emotional well-being of the members. If you have left your parents behind in your country of origin, you may feel as if your new life in Miami is missing an important element. While permanent residents in the United States cannot petition for their parents to get a green card, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services points out that as a U.S. citizen over the age of 20, you do have that right.

If you were born in another country, you must provide your U.S. passport or certificate of naturalization with the petition for your parent. Other documentation varies depending on your relationship with your parent. You will need to provide a copy of your birth certificate regardless of which parent the petition includes. But, additional information will be necessary if the parent is not on that document due to adoption, birth out of wedlock or if you are petitioning for a step-parent.

In the case of an unlegitimated relationship between you and your father, you must be able to prove that, before you turned 21 or married, the two of you had a financial or emotional bond. To petition for an adoptive parent, you must have been adopted before you turned 16 years old, and a certified copy of your adoption certificate is necessary as proof of this fact. Exceptions and other factors may apply, depending on the specifics of your situation. This information is general in nature, and should not be considered legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • facebook
  • facebook
  • Google+

Contact Us

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Cuevas, Garcia & Torres, P.A.
Attorneys at Law

Miami Dadeland Office
7300 N. Kendall Drive 
Suite 680
Miami, FL 33156
Toll Free: 877-801-4135
Phone: 305-461-9500
Fax: 305-448-7300
Map and Directions

Midtown Miami
3401 North Miami Avenue 
Suite 209
Miami, FL 33127 
Map and Directions

FindLaw Network