Jump to Navigation

adjustment of status Archives

Basic information regarding adjustment of status in the U.S.

Florida, like just about every other state in the nation, is home to tens of thousands of immigrants. Many face significant challenges in their everyday lives, based on their immigration backgrounds. Some desire an adjustment of status (which may make their living situations less stressful) but aren't sure how to begin the process.

Adjustment of Status: What is a request for evidence?

When an immigrant wishes to reside and/or work in Florida, there are often very complex processes that must be navigated. With regard to an adjustment of status, complications may arise to cause delays on (or, even dismiss) an application. For instance, a Request for Evidence (RFE) can really slow things down.

Are medical exams required for adjustment of status?

Whether you wish to become a permanent resident in order to spend time with your loved ones or move forward in a successful career, you may want to adjust your status for various reasons. Furthermore, you may have a number of questions regarding green cards and other aspects of immigration law. If you live in Miami-Dade, or another section of Florida, it is vital to find the correct answers to any of your questions and carefully move forward.

How do I adjust my status?

If you are a parolee or nonimmigrant currently living in the U.S. and want to become a green card holder, it is essential to familiarize yourself with the adjustment of status process and make sure you meet the requirements. If you successfully apply for an adjustment of status, you may not need to return to your native country to finish processing your visa and obtain permanent residency. If you live in Miami-Dade, or another Florida city, you should know which steps need to be taken in order to adjust your status.

Do I need to apply for a change to my nonimmigrant status?

While you came to Miami, Florida, from another country with documentation that limits your activities in the United States, you are not necessarily restricted from changing course and doing something else. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services explains that in some cases, you do not need to worry about new documentation. On the other hand, some changes, such as adjustment of status, require you to fill out separate paperwork.

What you should know about the K-1 visa

It may be emotionally difficult for you to live in Florida as a U.S. citizen when the person you love is a citizen of another country and is living abroad. U.S. immigration law may provide a solution for you through a K-1 nonimmigrant visa. We at Cuevas, Garcia & Torres, P.A., have frequently answered the questions of those who are interested in exploring their eligibility for this option.

Parole instead of admission after your inspection

If you are seeking entry into Florida or another U.S. port of entry, you may be going through the inspection process in hopes of being admitted. After achieving this goal, you may be eligible to apply for adjustment of status and become a legal permanent resident. However, there are conditions under which you may not fulfill the admission requirements. At Cuevas and Garcia, P.A., Attorneys at Law, we have answered questions for many foreign nationals who find themselves inspected and paroled rather than admitted.

What is the inspection and admission process?

As an immigrant who plans to become a permanent resident of the United States, you must complete certain steps before you are eligible. According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, your eligibility to file for adjustment of status depends on what happens as you go through the inspection process.

Options for immigrants who are victims of domestic violence

Having a spouse who is a legal permanent resident or U.S. citizen in the Miami area may make it easier for you to get a family based visa. However, if you are suffering as a result of domestic violence, the struggles of living in a foreign country may make getting help seem impossible. At Cuevas, Garcia & Torres, P.A., Attorneys at Law, we are familiar with the resources in place to provide relief to immigrants who are experiencing psychological, physical or sexual abuse from a spouse.

What you should know about SB-1 returning resident visas

As a U.S. permanent resident in Miami, Florida, you may have taken the opportunity to go abroad at some point. Whether this was to visit family members in your home country, to conduct business or for pleasure, if you were unable to return within the appropriate time frame, your permanent residency could be in jeopardy. We at Cuevas and Garcia, P.A., Attorneys at Law, understand the importance of regaining your status, as well as the steps that many have taken to return to their homes in the United States.

  • facebook
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • Google+

Contact Us

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Cuevas, Garcia & Torres, P.A.
Attorneys at Law

7480 S.W. 40th Street
Suite 600
Miami, FL 33155
Toll Free: 877-801-4135
Phone: 305-461-9500
Fax: 305-448-7300
Map and Directions

Midtown Miami
3401 North Miami Avenue 
Suite 209
Miami, FL 33127 
Map and Directions

FindLaw Network