Cuevas, Garcia & Torres, P.A.
contact Our Firm Today
Toll free – 877-801-4135

Miami – 305-461-9500

Orlando – 407-992-2251

4 reasons to give when seeking adjustment of immigration status

So, you are in the United States on a temporary visa, but you want to live in the country permanently. Do you have to go back to your country of residence and apply for a green card from there?

It is not generally necessary to go through such a disruption. Changing your visa from a temporary, nonimmigrant, one to a permanent, immigrant, one is called “adjustment of status,” and it generally allows foreign nationals to stay in the U.S. during the process.

To be eligible, one must be physically present in the U.S., and have entered the country legally, with some exceptions. Federal law accepts four main reasons for petitioning for adjustment of status.

  • Family. A U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident can file a Petition for Alien Relative on the applicant’s behalf.
  • Employment. Similarly, a prospective employer in the U.S. can file a Petition for Alien Worker on an applicant’s behalf.
  • Special Classifications. Certain classes of immigrants do not need a relative or employer file on their behalf.
  • Humanitarian Programs. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services has several humanitarian programs, through which those with nonimmigrant status may not need to petition at all.

Whether or not your petition is accepted depends in part on whether USCIS has reached its annual quota for green cards in each category. The timing of an application can make the difference between a successful adjustment to green card status and not.

There is more to the process than submitting the proper application and waiting. We will discuss the rest of the process in our next blog post.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
The Florida Bar | 1950 American Bar Association DADE County Bar Association | 1916 Orange County Bar Association Coral Gables Bar Association American Immigration Lawyer Association

Contact Us Today. Call 877-801-4135 or complete this form to schedule a consultation with our legal experts.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Offices Conveniently Located in Miami And Orlando

Miami Dadeland Office
7300 North Kendall Drive
Suite 680
Miami, FL 33156

Toll Free: 877-801-4135
Phone: 305-461-9500
Fax: 786-362-7127
Map & Directions

Midtown Miami Office
3401 North Miami Avenue
Suite 209
Miami, FL 33127

Toll Free: 877-801-4135
Phone: 305-461-9500
Fax: 786-362-7127
Map & Directions

Orlando Office
801 North Magnolia Avenue
Suite 221
Orlando, FL 32803

Toll Free: 877-801-4135
Fax: 786-362-7127
Map & Directions

Email This Office