Cuevas, Garcia & Torres, P.A.
contact Our Firm Today
Toll free – 877-801-4135

Miami – 305-461-9500

Orlando – 407-992-2251

Is my foreign-born child a U.S. citizen?

Whether or not a child was a U.S. citizen at birth can be a surprisingly complicated question, if he or she was not born inside the country. Federal law recognizes citizenship in some cases of out-of-country birth, but not in others.

For example, an infant born outside the U.S. is a citizen if her parents are married and U.S. citizens, and at least one of the parents lived in the U.S. or a territory before the child was born. It is also possible for the child to be a citizen at birth with only one citizen in the marriage, if certain conditions exist.

Not all children are born to married parents. In general, if the child’s mother is a U.S. citizen who had lived in the U.S. for at least a year, the child is also a citizen. Or if the father is a citizen, the child may also be a citizen, if a genetic relationship is proven and other factors apply.

Other children born abroad may not have citizenship at birth, but will automatically receive citizenship before they turn 18 under certain circumstances. For instance, children born after Feb. 27, 2001, will become citizens if at least one of their parents is a citizen, the child is still under 18 and living in the U.S. under the custody of that parent pursuant to lawful admission for permanent residence.

A minor born before that date can receive citizenship if she was living in the U.S. under a green card and her parents both become naturalized citizens, or just the custodial parent in the event the parents are legally separated.

Many of these cases involve foreign-born children being adopted by U.S. citizen parents. In those situations, once the child has lived with the adoptive parent for at least two years, or was an orphan or Convention adoptee whose adoption was completed abroad, generally the child will gain citizenship.

As we said, it can get pretty complicated. An immigration attorney can explain the law in more detail for you and your family.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
The Florida Bar | 1950 American Bar Association DADE County Bar Association | 1916 Orange County Bar Association Coral Gables Bar Association American Immigration Lawyer Association

Contact Us Today. Call 877-801-4135 or complete this form to schedule a consultation with our legal experts.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Offices Conveniently Located in Miami And Orlando
Google+ Facebook

Miami Dadeland Office
7300 North Kendall Drive
Suite 680
Miami, FL 33156

Toll Free: 877-801-4135
Phone: 305-461-9500
Fax: 786-362-7127
Map & Directions

Midtown Miami Office
3401 North Miami Avenue
Suite 209
Miami, FL 33127

Toll Free: 877-801-4135
Phone: 305-461-9500
Fax: 786-362-7127
Map & Directions

Orlando Office
801 North Magnolia Avenue
Suite 221
Orlando, FL 32803

Toll Free: 877-801-4135
Fax: 786-362-7127
Map & Directions

Email This Office