Cuevas, Garcia & Torres, P.A.
contact Our Firm Today
Toll free – 877-801-4135

Miami – 305-461-9500

Orlando – 407-992-2251

Understanding adjustment of status processes

If you or a loved one is currently living in the United States with temporary or nonimmigrant status, it is important to understand whether and how you can achieve permanent residency. Fortunately, adjustment of status can allow for you to file for green card residency without necessarily having to leave the country. Beyond that, the process provides options for those living outside of the country and/or who are not eligible to adjust their immigration status. It is important to note, however, that adjustment of status processes can be rather complex. That is why the attorneys at Cuevas, Garcia & Torres, P.A., are committed to educating our clients on all of the residency options available to them.

There are several steps to the adjustment of status process. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services explains that the first step to achieving permanent residency is determining your appropriate category under which to file a change in your immigration status. In many cases, an employer or family member may file a petition for a green card on your behalf. Other times, you may qualify as a refugee or other eligible category.

Once you have chosen your appropriate filing category, it is time to submit your immigration petition. Depending upon the category that you choose, it is necessary to submit specific forms. You may also be able to file your Application to Register Permanent Residence at the same time as your immigrant petition is filed in some instances. Keep in mind, though, that a visa must be available in your given category before you can file for permanent residency.

Once your application to Register Permanent Residency or Adjust Status is filed, there are still several other steps that must be taken before your green card status is approved. Having experienced legal guidance can go a long way to help ensure that your immigration case progresses smoothly. Learn more about permanent residency and other related topics by visiting our web page today.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
The Florida Bar | 1950 American Bar Association DADE County Bar Association | 1916 Orange County Bar Association Coral Gables Bar Association American Immigration Lawyer Association

Contact Us Today. Call 877-801-4135 or complete this form to schedule a consultation with our legal experts.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Offices Conveniently Located in Miami And Orlando

Miami Dadeland Office
7300 North Kendall Drive
Suite 680
Miami, FL 33156

Toll Free: 877-801-4135
Phone: 305-461-9500
Fax: 786-362-7127
Map & Directions

Midtown Miami Office
3401 North Miami Avenue
Suite 209
Miami, FL 33127

Toll Free: 877-801-4135
Phone: 305-461-9500
Fax: 786-362-7127
Map & Directions

Orlando Office
801 North Magnolia Avenue
Suite 221
Orlando, FL 32803

Toll Free: 877-801-4135
Fax: 786-362-7127
Map & Directions

Email This Office