Cuevas, Garcia & Torres, P.A.
contact Our Firm Today
Toll free – 877-801-4135

Miami – 305-461-9500

Orlando – 407-992-2251

Changing your status after studying in the U.S.

Recently, we discussed coming to the United States not as an immigrant, but for the purpose of studying or gaining a trade skill. As pointed out in a previous blog post, obtaining a student visa does not give you status to live in the country temporarily or permanently after you have completed your education. However, at the law firm of Cuevas, Garcia & Torres, P.A., we understand that you might have reasons to stay in Florida after receiving your degree.

According to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, you may apply to change your resident status, even if your original intent was to study and then return to your home country. What are the reasons you might have changed your mind? Perhaps you have an attractive offer of employment. You might enjoy the friendships you developed while attending school, and wish to continue living in the country for a while longer. You might also have relatives who are living in the U.S., and you would like to continue living here to develop your relationship with them.

In order to qualify for an adjustment of status, you would have had to abide by the terms of your student visa. For example, not attending school full-time or accepting an unauthorized job might result in the immediate revocation of your right to be in the country as a student. If this happens, you would most likely be required to leave the United States and apply for an immigrant visa in your home country. To learn more about the visa best suited for your needs, visit our page on nonimmigrant visas.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
The Florida Bar | 1950 American Bar Association DADE County Bar Association | 1916 Orange County Bar Association Coral Gables Bar Association American Immigration Lawyer Association

Contact Us Today. Call 877-801-4135 or complete this form to schedule a consultation with our legal experts.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Offices Conveniently Located in Miami And Orlando

Miami Dadeland Office
7300 North Kendall Drive
Suite 680
Miami, FL 33156

Toll Free: 877-801-4135
Phone: 305-461-9500
Fax: 786-362-7127
Map & Directions

Midtown Miami Office
3401 North Miami Avenue
Suite 209
Miami, FL 33127

Toll Free: 877-801-4135
Phone: 305-461-9500
Fax: 786-362-7127
Map & Directions

Orlando Office
801 North Magnolia Avenue
Suite 221
Orlando, FL 32803

Toll Free: 877-801-4135
Fax: 786-362-7127
Map & Directions

Email This Office