Cuevas, Garcia & Torres, P.A.
contact Our Firm Today
Toll free – 877-801-4135

Miami – 305-461-9500

Orlando – 407-992-2251

What is a student visa and why might I want to study in the U.S.?

Once you have reached the age where you can decide on your future career opportunities and educational options, you will most likely also be considering where to get your education. Do you want to attend a university in your home country, or might studying abroad be more appealing and worthwhile? If you decide to continue your education at one of Florida’s reputable universities, you will need to take the steps necessary to allow you to legally study in the United States.

According to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, you will either need an F-1 or an M-1 visa, depending on your field of study. The F category is for studying at a university or other academic institution, while M visas are reserved for learning a specific vocation or skilled trade. The school you choose will need to be approved by Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

What is required for studying in the U.S.? You will either need to speak English proficiently or be enrolled in an English language course; you must be a full-time student during the duration of your education; you will need to prove you have a residence in your home country that you intend on returning to; and you will need money to support yourself during your stay.

There are many compelling reasons you might want to attend school in America. Universities here are known worldwide for their excellent degree programs, as well as the flexibility to adjust or modify your educational options while you are enrolled. If you adjust your status to legally extend your stay after graduation, you may also be able to add to your experience by working in your chosen field. Studying in a foreign country is also a once-in-a-lifetime chance to learn about a new culture, have enriching experiences and make lifelong friendships.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
The Florida Bar | 1950 American Bar Association DADE County Bar Association | 1916 Orange County Bar Association Coral Gables Bar Association American Immigration Lawyer Association

Contact Us Today. Call 877-801-4135 or complete this form to schedule a consultation with our legal experts.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Offices Conveniently Located in Miami And Orlando

Miami Dadeland Office
7300 North Kendall Drive
Suite 680
Miami, FL 33156

Toll Free: 877-801-4135
Phone: 305-461-9500
Fax: 786-362-7127
Map & Directions

Midtown Miami Office
3401 North Miami Avenue
Suite 209
Miami, FL 33127

Toll Free: 877-801-4135
Phone: 305-461-9500
Fax: 786-362-7127
Map & Directions

Orlando Office
801 North Magnolia Avenue
Suite 221
Orlando, FL 32803

Toll Free: 877-801-4135
Fax: 786-362-7127
Map & Directions

Email This Office