Cuevas, Garcia & Torres, P.A.
contact Our Firm Today
Toll free – 877-801-4135

Miami – 305-461-9500

Orlando – 407-992-2251

What type of visa do you need to work permanently in the U.S.?

Like many foreign residents of Miami and elsewhere, you might want to work in the country in order to live here. Some immigrants come to the United States on a temporary basis for employment or education purposes. Others hope to gain permanent residency or citizenship by performing a valuable work service. Depending on your skills, you would need to apply for a certain type of employment visa.

According to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, there are five main types of permanent employment visas available. Only about 140,000 of these visas are distributed each fiscal year for immigrants who get jobs in the country. This number includes spouses and children. This means that if you come to the country on work-related business, your immediate family members may come to live in the U.S. with you. Employment visas include the following:

  • EB-1 –for those with exceptional skills in business, management, science, art, athletics, education, research and other fields
  • EB-2 – for positions requiring advanced degrees or outstanding abilities in business, sciences or art
  • EB-3 – for skilled laborers, professionals and other positions
  • EB-4 – special positions, such as foreign service jobs, religious work or retired international executives
  • EB-5 – for businesspeople who invest $500,000 to at least $1 million in a new commercial company with 10 or more full-time American employees

You should understand that working in the United States gives you the same tax obligations as American citizens. Qualifying for an employment visa is also dependent on several factors, including the availability of U.S. citizens who could fill the desired job position. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
The Florida Bar | 1950 American Bar Association DADE County Bar Association | 1916 Orange County Bar Association Coral Gables Bar Association American Immigration Lawyer Association

Contact Us Today. Call 877-801-4135 or complete this form to schedule a consultation with our legal experts.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Offices Conveniently Located in Miami And Orlando

Miami Dadeland Office
7300 North Kendall Drive
Suite 680
Miami, FL 33156

Toll Free: 877-801-4135
Phone: 305-461-9500
Fax: 786-362-7127
Map & Directions

Midtown Miami Office
3401 North Miami Avenue
Suite 209
Miami, FL 33127

Toll Free: 877-801-4135
Phone: 305-461-9500
Fax: 786-362-7127
Map & Directions

Orlando Office
801 North Magnolia Avenue
Suite 221
Orlando, FL 32803

Toll Free: 877-801-4135
Fax: 786-362-7127
Map & Directions

Email This Office