Jump to Navigation

What is a K-1 visa?

When a U.S. citizen who lives in Florida wishes to marry a non-citizen foreign national, he or she is able to bring their fiance to Florida in order to get married. One way, other than a tourist visa, in which a foreign fiance can legally enter the country in order to marry is a K-1 visa, which is a type of non-immigrant visa specifically geared towards foreign fiances.

K-1 visas allow people who would otherwise qualify for an immigrant visa to travel to the United States in order to marry a U.S. citizen who is their intended spouse within 90 days of arrival. After the marriage, the foreign spouse may then apply to have his or her status adjusted and obtain a residence permit based on the marriage.

The U.S. person must be a citizen, and permanent residence status does not qualify as a ground for a foreign fiance to obtain a K-1 visa. Both must also be legally able to marry in the United States. People are not legally able to marry if they are still married to a person in another country, if they are trying to marry a sibling, half-sibling, grandparent or parent, and in many states, a first cousin.

There are other requirements for obtaining a K-1 visa, but it does provide a good way for a foreign fiance to enter the United States. Couples who wish to marry where one person is a foreign national while the other is a U.S. citizen may benefit by speaking with an immigration attorney about getting a such a visa. This type of family immigration visa can be a good choice for many people.

Source: U.S. Visas, "Nonimmigrant Visa for a Fiancé(e) (K-1)", October 30, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • facebook
  • facebook
  • Google+

Contact Us

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Cuevas, Garcia & Torres, P.A.
Attorneys at Law

Miami Dadeland Office
7300 N. Kendall Drive 
Suite 680
Miami, FL 33156
Toll Free: 877-801-4135
Phone: 305-461-9500
Fax: 305-448-7300
Map and Directions

Midtown Miami
3401 North Miami Avenue 
Suite 209
Miami, FL 33127 
Map and Directions

FindLaw Network