Cuevas, Garcia & Torres, P.A.
contact Our Firm Today
Toll free – 877-801-4135

Miami – 305-461-9500

Orlando – 407-992-2251

February 2016 Archives

What you should know about filing the adjustment of status

The U.S. government provides immigrants in certain situations the ability to file what is known as an adjustment of status. A previous blog post gives a brief explanation of how this can help people become permanent residents. However, there are things that people should educate themselves on, concerning this process, before they apply.

How do I get a P-2 visa?

In order to get a P-2 visa, which is for performing artists who are participating in a reciprocal exchange program, you must gather certain documentation together and then have your American employer or the labor organization that is sponsoring you, fill out the appropriate application form. According to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, there are five documents that you must present.

Inventory rates for foreclosures still high in Florida

A home is a big investment and many people in the Miami-Dade area often put everything they have into buying one. However, unexpected medical bills, maintenance costs or a job loss could put that dream in jeopardy. If people are unable to make their mortgage, the bank has the legal right to foreclose on the property.

Understanding nonimmigrant P visas for athletes

There are many reasons why people desire to come to the United States for a short period of time, but they will need a nonimmigrant visa. A previous blog post provides a brief description of what nonimmigrant visas are. For people in the athletic world, they will need a P-1A visa.

What should homeowners know about condominium ownership?

Florida has a high retiree population; as such, there are many condominium complexes available for rent or purchase, which can be a more attractive option to senior citizens than larger homes. For example, if you are looking to downsize and want a smaller residence to take care of, a condo may be what you need. Condominiums have other advantages, such as costing less than a single-family home and requiring less upkeep. Instead of having to do the yardwork yourself, property management will usually mow the lawn, do the landscaping and perform other maintenance work.

Understanding the purpose of nonimmigrant visas

Recently, this blog discussed the topic of nonimmigrant visas regarding permanent employment in Miami and other areas of the country. However, there are many other types of nonimmigrant visas that our lawyers at Cuevas, Garcia & Torres, P.A., are often asked about.

What if your landlord doesn’t return your security deposit?

It is a common practice for landlords in Miami to require their renters to pay a security deposit as a condition of rental. If you are renting, your security deposit will be used to safeguard the landlord’s financial interests related to your living in the residence. Upon moving out, you have the right to receive your security deposit back, provided you follow the rules of your lease.

What type of visa do you need to work permanently in the U.S.?

Like many foreign residents of Miami and elsewhere, you might want to work in the country in order to live here. Some immigrants come to the United States on a temporary basis for employment or education purposes. Others hope to gain permanent residency or citizenship by performing a valuable work service. Depending on your skills, you would need to apply for a certain type of employment visa.

The Florida Bar | 1950 American Bar Association DADE County Bar Association | 1916 Orange County Bar Association Coral Gables Bar Association American Immigration Lawyer Association

Contact Us Today. Call 877-801-4135 or complete this form to schedule a consultation with our legal experts.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Offices Conveniently Located in Miami And Orlando

Miami Dadeland Office
7300 North Kendall Drive
Suite 680
Miami, FL 33156

Toll Free: 877-801-4135
Phone: 305-461-9500
Fax: 786-362-7127
Map & Directions

Midtown Miami Office
3401 North Miami Avenue
Suite 209
Miami, FL 33127

Toll Free: 877-801-4135
Phone: 305-461-9500
Fax: 786-362-7127
Map & Directions

Orlando Office
801 North Magnolia Avenue
Suite 221
Orlando, FL 32803

Toll Free: 877-801-4135
Fax: 786-362-7127
Map & Directions

Email This Office