Cuevas, Garcia & Torres, P.A.
contact Our Firm Today

April 2015 Archives

Fraudulent marriages for green cards can have serious consequences

One way for a non-citizen of the U.S. to obtain permanent residency status, commonly known as a green card, is to have an immediate family member who is a citizen petition on his or her behalf. Often, this immediate relative is a husband or wife who is either a citizen by birth or naturalized.

How does 'moral character' affect a naturalization application?

One of the things that the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services requires of applicants for naturalized citizenship is that the applicant be of “good moral character.” This will likely seem to be a rather vague and subjective requirement. Whose set of morals are the baseline? Couldn’t an applicant seem moral to one person, and immoral to another?

Florida tax revenue projected to go up under immigration reform

For immigrants coming to Florida or other U.S. states, job opportunities, safety from crime or persecution, and becoming reunited with relatives may all be major personal benefits of migrating. Critics of immigration sometimes question whether U.S. society in general enjoys any benefits from these new residents, but a new study says that Florida gathers nearly $605 million in tax revenue from undocumented workers, and could get even more if immigration policy changed.

What makes a Florida condominium a condominium?

Many people in the market for a home choose to buy a condominium. Others may be considering buying a place, either to live in or rent out, but are not quite sure what makes a place a condominium, and what a condo owner’s rights and obligations are.

Tech firms using Twitter to call for H-1B visa expansion

Employers say that their need for skilled workers is so great, that it has made visa quotas outdated. Referring specifically to the H-1B visa, they and some politicians are pushing for an increase in the number of visas issued from 85,000, where the limit is currently.

When must condo meetings be open to owners?

Living in a condominium means that you are tied into a community that shares in the maintenance and upkeep of the building, and must abide by certain rules. The condo association probably has a board that makes important decisions, but most residents will want to have a voice when it comes to rules changes, possible raises in the association dues, and so on.

Ex-Salvadoran general deported from U.S. for war crimes

Not long ago, we discussed how naturalized U.S. citizens can lose their citizenship and be deported, a process called “denaturalization.” Of course, resident aliens can also face deportation, perhaps due to committing a crime or failing to disclose previous criminal activity in their previous country.

More about adjustment of immigration status

In our previous post, we discussed the four main paths nonimmigrants in the U.S. can take to adjust their status so they can stay in this country, perhaps permanently. As we mentioned then, there is a process to applying for an adjustment beyond figuring out who files the petition for you, and using the proper form.

The Florida Bar | 1950 American Bar Association DADE County Bar Association | 1916 Orange County Bar Association Coral Gables Bar Association American Immigration Lawyer Association

Contact Us Today. Call 877-801-4135 or complete this form to schedule a consultation with our legal experts.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Offices Conveniently Located in Miami And Orlando
Google+ Facebook

Miami Dadeland Office
7300 North Kendall Drive
Suite 680
Miami, FL 33156

Toll Free: 877-801-4135
Phone: 305-461-9500
Fax: 305-448-7300
Map & Directions

Midtown Miami Office
3401 North Miami Avenue
Suite 209
Miami, FL 33127

Toll Free: 877-801-4135
Phone: 305-461-9500
Fax: 305-448-7300
Map & Directions

Orlando Office
801 North Magnolia Avenue
Suite 221
Orlando, FL 32803

Toll Free: 877-801-4135
Fax: 786-362-7127
Map & Directions

Email This Office