On Behalf of | Feb 19, 2015 | Uncategorized |

Florida residents who have immigrated to the United States may be interested in the requirements for bringing children into the country after the parent gains permanent residency. The particular requirements may vary depending on the person’s situation and relationship with the child.

A parent who has been granted lawful permanent resident status in the United States has the option to petition for immigration of their child into the country. This largely depends on the marital status and age of the child. The child must be under 21 years old if married, or can be any age if not yet married. The permanent resident parent may also petition to have their child’s children brought into the United States as well.

In addition to filling out the proper form and paying a filing fee, the permanent resident must provide certain documentation in order to begin the family immigration process. This includes their own permanent residency documentation, the child’s birth certificate and additional proof of parentage, if necessary. This additional proof is needed when a father, stepparent or adoptive parent is attempting to bring their child into the country. This could include proof of marriage, evidence of paternity or adoption certification. The child’s mother does not require any additional documentation. After they enter the United States and once a visa becomes available for the child, they may then file an additional form to register for permanent residency if they wish.

Understanding the many legal issues surrounding family visas may be made easier with the advice and counsel of an immigration attorney who can assess the situation and recommend the best course of action. This could include assistance with filing the proper forms.

Source: FindLaw, “Bringing Children of Permanent Residents into the U.S.”, accessed on Feb. 18, 2015


FindLaw Network