Understanding adjustment of status processes

On Behalf of | May 14, 2015 | Adjustment Of Status |

If you or a loved one is currently living in the United States with temporary or nonimmigrant status, it is important to understand whether and how you can achieve permanent residency. Fortunately, adjustment of status can allow for you to file for green card residency without necessarily having to leave the country. Beyond that, the process provides options for those living outside of the country and/or who are not eligible to adjust their immigration status. It is important to note, however, that adjustment of status processes can be rather complex. That is why the attorneys at Cuevas, Garcia & Torres, P.A., are committed to educating our clients on all of the residency options available to them.

There are several steps to the adjustment of status process. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services explains that the first step to achieving permanent residency is determining your appropriate category under which to file a change in your immigration status. In many cases, an employer or family member may file a petition for a green card on your behalf. Other times, you may qualify as a refugee or other eligible category.

Once you have chosen your appropriate filing category, it is time to submit your immigration petition. Depending upon the category that you choose, it is necessary to submit specific forms. You may also be able to file your Application to Register Permanent Residence at the same time as your immigrant petition is filed in some instances. Keep in mind, though, that a visa must be available in your given category before you can file for permanent residency.

Once your application to Register Permanent Residency or Adjust Status is filed, there are still several other steps that must be taken before your green card status is approved. Having experienced legal guidance can go a long way to help ensure that your immigration case progresses smoothly. Learn more about permanent residency and other related topics by visiting our web page today.


FindLaw Network