Know when to renew or replace your green card

On Behalf of | Aug 12, 2015 | U.s. Permanent Residency |

No matter if you have received your green card through family, work or as a refugee, there will come a time when you need to renew it. At Cuevas, Garcia & Torres, P.A., we have seen what can happen if you fail to renew or replace your card. Taking action as soon as possible will help ensure that you can legally remain in the United States.

As the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services points out, as a permanent resident, you will have to renew your card if it is expired or if it will expire over the course of the next six months. If you are a conditional resident, you will have to remove those conditions on your residency before renewing your card.

There are many more circumstances in which you may need to replace your card. The USCIS points out that replacement is necessary in the following situations: 

  •        If you have lost your card or it was stolen or damaged
  •        If your card has incorrect information on it
  •        If you are either a commuter taking up residence or you are a permanent resident switching to a commuter status
  •        If you received the card before you were 14 and you are now 14, unless your card does not expire until you are 16

No matter if you need to renew or replace your card, you will need to file a Form I-90 with the USCIS. If you are currently outside the United States with an expired or lost card, you will need to work with USCIS before filing the form.

For more information on this topic, please visit our page on immigration services.


FindLaw Network