How can I learn English to pass the naturalization test?

On Behalf of | Dec 31, 2015 | Citizenship |

Difficulty speaking English can create a problem if your goal is to take the naturalization test. According to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, a portion of the test addresses your fluency in English. Unless you meet certain exemptions regarding your age and the length of time you have lived in the country as a permanent resident, you will need to pass the English test. What are the ways you might accomplish this?

English is not an easy language to master, but there are fortunately some options that may help you. The USCIS has provided study aids for the English portion of the naturalization test on its website, including interactive tests, flash cards and interviewing guides. You may contact your local community college or school district for information on courses to learn English as a second language.

Generally, an English second language course takes one or two years to complete. The length of time may vary, depending on your proficiency when you begin classes, and whether you attend full-time or part-time. ESL classes will usually cover speaking and listening skills, as well as reading, writing and understanding proper grammar. Teachers must go through a strict accreditation process for these programs and often, they may be immigrants themselves. In addition to English as a language, curriculum can cover American culture, literature and other topics to help you feel more confident in America.

It can also help to search online for resources to help you improve your English skills. If you have difficulty attending classes at a school, you might be able to find an online course or instructional materials to order that could help you learn English.


FindLaw Network