What you should know about SB-1 returning resident visas

On Behalf of | Apr 7, 2016 | Adjustment Of Status |

As a U.S. permanent resident in Miami, Florida, you may have taken the opportunity to go abroad at some point. Whether this was to visit family members in your home country, to conduct business or for pleasure, if you were unable to return within the appropriate time frame, your permanent residency could be in jeopardy. We at Cuevas and Garcia, P.A., Attorneys at Law, understand the importance of regaining your status, as well as the steps that many have taken to return to their homes in the United States.

The U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs has provided for this type of situation through returning resident SB-1 visas. To qualify, you must be able to prove that your extended stay was not through your own choice, but due to unavoidable circumstances. Evidence of this may be employment papers, medical bills or other documentation. You must also provide proof that you left the country as a permanent resident and you always intended to return. Documents showing real estate ownership or tax returns may provide evidence of your connections to and in the United States.

There are fees associated with the SB-1 visa. For example, you must pay the costs for the necessary vaccination and medical exams, and there are also application processing fees and Department of State fees. You will also have to undergo two separate interviews to acquire returning resident status and an immigrant visa. The Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services will not require you to have someone file an immigrant visa petition for you if you are approved for returning resident status.


FindLaw Network