What you should know about the K-1 visa

On Behalf of | Aug 20, 2016 | Adjustment Of Status |

It may be emotionally difficult for you to live in Florida as a U.S. citizen when the person you love is a citizen of another country and is living abroad. U.S. immigration law may provide a solution for you through a K-1 nonimmigrant visa. We at Cuevas, Garcia & Torres, P.A., have frequently answered the questions of those who are interested in exploring their eligibility for this option.

According to the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, your fiancé may qualify for the K-1 visa if, at some point in the last two years, the two of you have spent time together in person. You may be in a position to forgo this requirement if you or your fiancé are forbidden by your culture to meet until the marriage takes place. Traveling to another country may be an expensive obligation that you are not able to fulfill. If so, you may be able to be excused from making the trip.

When you file the petition for your fiancé, you have to show that you are each in a position to legally marry in Florida, if that is where you plan to be married. Once your fiancé arrives in the country, you have 90 days to be married. You must go to the interview with your fiancé, and documentation such as completed forms, valid passport and evidence that requirements are fulfilled must be brought with you. The same legal rights and responsibilities are now extended to same-sex relationships. More information about adjustment of status and green cards is available on our web page.


FindLaw Network