Do I need to apply for a change to my nonimmigrant status?

On Behalf of | Sep 17, 2016 | Adjustment Of Status |

While you came to Miami, Florida, from another country with documentation that limits your activities in the United States, you are not necessarily restricted from changing course and doing something else. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services explains that in some cases, you do not need to worry about new documentation. On the other hand, some changes, such as adjustment of status, require you to fill out separate paperwork.

Some categories, such as C, D, K or S nonimmigrant visas, prevent you from qualifying for adjustment of status. J-1 and M-1 visas provide limitations to your eligibility for another type of visa, although you may have some options, depending on your specific situation. However, even if you meet other criteria, you may not file for a change if your nonimmigrant status has already expired, or if you did not follow the rules that apply to your current visa. If you are in the country without the appropriate legal documentation or you have been found guilty of certain crimes, you also lose your right to apply for an adjustment of status.

There are many options available to you without filing an application to change your status if your spouse or parent has one of many different nonimmigrant visas, and you wish to become a student in this country. You also have the right to complete the time allotted for your stay doing non-business activities if you are in the United States with a B category visa. This information is provided to give you a general overview of the topic, but because there are many exceptions that may affect your case, it should not be interpreted as legal advice.


FindLaw Network