Do I need to pay Social Security taxes if I have a work visa?

On Behalf of | Oct 30, 2016 | Employment Immigration |

If you are employed in the U.S. as a nonresident alien on an H-1B visa or any other type of work visa, you may have a variety of questions or concerns. However, it is important to make sure that you fulfill any tax-related obligations you have. If you live in Miami-Dade, or another Florida city, you may want to review your individual situation and figure out whether or not you will need to pay Social Security and Medicare taxes.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, many nonresident aliens are required to pay Medicare and Social Security taxes on wages earned in the U.S. Typically, people in this position are obligated to pay these taxes just like U.S. citizens. However, some nonresident aliens do not need to pay Medicare of Social Security taxes. For example, if you have an H-visa, F-visa, D-visa or A-visa, you may be exempt. However, there are a number of factors related to your individual circumstances that must be taken into account when determining whether or not you are subject to Social Security and Medicare taxes.

When it comes to immigration laws, there are a wide variety of legal issues that you may have to consider. However, it is especially important for you to understand how the U.S. tax code affects you and avoid any violations that can lead to unnecessary complications.

Please remember that this post was written to provide useful information on work visas and taxes and is not to be taken as legal advice.


FindLaw Network