How do I adjust my status?

On Behalf of | Oct 18, 2016 | Adjustment Of Status |

If you are a parolee or nonimmigrant currently living in the U.S. and want to become a green card holder, it is essential to familiarize yourself with the adjustment of status process and make sure you meet the requirements. If you successfully apply for an adjustment of status, you may not need to return to your native country to finish processing your visa and obtain permanent residency. If you live in Miami-Dade, or another Florida city, you should know which steps need to be taken in order to adjust your status.

First, you should make sure you belong in a particular category of immigrants, according to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. For example, your immigration petition may be filed for a handful of reasons, such as those related to employment, your family or status as a special immigrant. Usually, you will need to have someone who is a permanent resident or citizen file an immigration petition for you.

Once your paperwork has been successfully turned in, you will need to report to an Application Support Center, where you will likely have your fingerprints and picture taken. Next, you could be scheduled for an interview with the USCIS. When attending an interview, you will have to have an original copy of each required document that was turned in with your application. Finally, the USCIS will mail the results of your application to you.

Please remember, this post was written to provide useful information on adjusting your status and is not to be taken as legal advice.


FindLaw Network