Can I work in the U.S. on a tourist visa?

On Behalf of | Jan 27, 2017 | Employment Immigration |

From sightseeing to spending time with family members and friends, people travel to the U.S. for many reasons. If you are planning on entering the United States with a tourist visa, it is important to understand your responsibilities and find answers to any of your questions, whether they have to do with employment or are related to other immigration issues. In Miami, Florida, some visitors who were unaware of certain aspects of immigration law have found themselves in trouble.

According to the U.S. Department of State, you are not allowed to work in the U.S. if you are visiting on a tourist visa. Moreover, tourists are not permitted to accept job offers during their visit to the country. If you wish to move to the U.S. for employment-related purposes, you will need to obtain a work visa, such as an H1-B visa. However, there are many other types of visas you may be eligible to obtain and you will need to review the details of your individual circumstances.

Starting the visa application process may seem daunting, but it is essential to make sure that you take the right approach. After all, violating immigration laws can lead to harsh consequences that completely turn your life upside down, such as deportation. By applying for the proper visa and satisfying all of the requirements, you can avoid these setbacks and gain access to new employment opportunities.

You should understand that this post was compiled to provide helpful information on visas and is not to be taken as an alternative to legal counsel.


FindLaw Network