Which type of visa do you need?

On Behalf of | Aug 7, 2020 | U.s. Immigration Law |

A person wishing to enter Florida or elsewhere in the United States to live or work on a temporary or permanent basis must navigate the U.S. immigration system to accomplish his or her goals. The system is complex and serious legal issues may arise if the person in question does not adhere to the exact regulations that apply to his or her circumstances. For instance, there are several categories of visas, and it is important to know which one is needed in a specific situation.

If a person wants to stay in the United States indefinitely, he or she typically must apply for an immigrant visa. If the person is residing in another country when he or she applies for an immigrant visa, the consular office is the place to go to begin the visa process. However, many people decide that they want to become permanent residents of the U.S. after they are already here. These individuals would need to file a petition to adjust their legal status through the bureau of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Career diplomats, tourists, investors, students or temporary workers need nonimmigrant visas to enter the United States. Within this category, there is an extensive list of subcategories. For instance, wanting to enter the country to work does not necessarily help identify which nonimmigrant visa is needed; the type of work a person will be doing may also determine which application to file.

To avoid legal problems in Florida or another state, immigrants and nonimmigrants will want to make sure they have met all eligibility requirements and have properly filled out all application documents. Even after doing so, it is possible that an issue might arise that calls a person’s lawful residence question. An experienced immigration law attorney can provide immediate support to help address any problems that are placing a person’s visa status at risk.


FindLaw Network