Cuevas, Garcia & Torres, P.A.
contact Our Firm Today
Toll free – 877-801-4135

Miami – 305-461-9500

Orlando – 407-992-2251

How can I obtain a student visa?

In most cases, anyone who wants to come into the United States must first obtain a visa. These can be assigned for either permanent residency or a temporary stay. If you plan on studying here, you can secure a student visa.

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services cites several requirements for obtaining a student visa, which are the following: 

  •        You must either speak English or be taking a course that will lead to proficiency in English.
  •        You must be already enrolled in the program as a full-time student.
  •        The Student and Exchange Visitors Program, Immigration and Customs Enforcement must have approved the program.
  •        You must be able to support yourself during your education.
  •        You must have a home abroad that you do not plan to give up.

As the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs points out, there are different categories of student visas based on which type of school you will attend. For example, if you are planning on going to either a vocational or nonacademic institution, you will need to apply for an M visa. For most other programs, ranging from private elementary school and universities to seminaries, conservatories and language training, you will need to apply for an F visa.

If you secure an F visa, you cannot work off-campus during your first year, but the USCIS reports that you could work on-campus. Several other employment restrictions that apply to students with any type of visa, including which type of job they may hold and the type of practical training they may be involved in.

While this information may be useful, it should not be taken as legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
The Florida Bar | 1950 American Bar Association DADE County Bar Association | 1916 Orange County Bar Association Coral Gables Bar Association American Immigration Lawyer Association

Contact Us Today. Call 877-801-4135 or complete this form to schedule a consultation with our legal experts.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Offices Conveniently Located in Miami And Orlando

Miami Dadeland Office
7300 North Kendall Drive
Suite 680
Miami, FL 33156

Toll Free: 877-801-4135
Phone: 305-461-9500
Fax: 786-362-7127
Map & Directions

Midtown Miami Office
3401 North Miami Avenue
Suite 209
Miami, FL 33127

Toll Free: 877-801-4135
Phone: 305-461-9500
Fax: 786-362-7127
Map & Directions

Orlando Office
801 North Magnolia Avenue
Suite 221
Orlando, FL 32803

Toll Free: 877-801-4135
Fax: 786-362-7127
Map & Directions

Email This Office