What is a student visa and why might I want to study in the U.S.?

On Behalf of | Jan 9, 2016 | U.s. Immigration Law |

Once you have reached the age where you can decide on your future career opportunities and educational options, you will most likely also be considering where to get your education. Do you want to attend a university in your home country, or might studying abroad be more appealing and worthwhile? If you decide to continue your education at one of Florida’s reputable universities, you will need to take the steps necessary to allow you to legally study in the United States.

According to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, you will either need an F-1 or an M-1 visa, depending on your field of study. The F category is for studying at a university or other academic institution, while M visas are reserved for learning a specific vocation or skilled trade. The school you choose will need to be approved by Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

What is required for studying in the U.S.? You will either need to speak English proficiently or be enrolled in an English language course; you must be a full-time student during the duration of your education; you will need to prove you have a residence in your home country that you intend on returning to; and you will need money to support yourself during your stay.

There are many compelling reasons you might want to attend school in America. Universities here are known worldwide for their excellent degree programs, as well as the flexibility to adjust or modify your educational options while you are enrolled. If you adjust your status to legally extend your stay after graduation, you may also be able to add to your experience by working in your chosen field. Studying in a foreign country is also a once-in-a-lifetime chance to learn about a new culture, have enriching experiences and make lifelong friendships.


FindLaw Network