Cuevas, Garcia & Torres, P.A.
contact Our Firm Today
Toll free – 877-801-4135

Miami – 305-461-9500

Orlando – 407-992-2251

Understanding nonimmigrant P visas for athletes

There are many reasons why people desire to come to the United States for a short period of time, but they will need a nonimmigrant visa. A previous blog post provides a brief description of what nonimmigrant visas are. For people in the athletic world, they will need a P-1A visa.

The P-1A visa is designed for athletes who are recognized internationally, according to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. This visa can be granted to athletic teams as well as individuals but there are certain criteria that must be met. The employers of the athletes (if on a team), or the athlete will need to fill out Form I-129. They must show that they are coming to the U.S. for the sole purpose of competing within their sport. To do this, they will have to provide an itinerary of the trip and describe the athletic event. They will also need to submit a sports contract, if there is one; a labor organization consultation in writing; and then two additional documentations that fit one of the following categories:

  •          Proof that the team or the person is recognized internationally – this must come from an official in the sport’s governing body or from a U.S. sports league and it must be in writing.
  •          Recipient of an award or significant honor
  •          Participation in a prior season, and in a major way, with a major sports league in the U.S. or through an American college or university
  •          Ranking, if ranking is used in the sport
  •          Prior performance with a national team at international competition level

Additionally, athletes or teams can show that they are recognized internationally through a letter that is drafted by an expert who is recognized for that sport or by someone in sports media.

Once athletes have arrived in the United States they do have the option to apply for an extended stay. The USCIS states that they will need to show they have stayed out of trouble with the law, that they have adhered to the conditions associated with their admission to the U.S., their visa is still valid and that they entered the country legally.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
The Florida Bar | 1950 American Bar Association DADE County Bar Association | 1916 Orange County Bar Association Coral Gables Bar Association American Immigration Lawyer Association

Contact Us Today. Call 877-801-4135 or complete this form to schedule a consultation with our legal experts.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Offices Conveniently Located in Miami And Orlando

Miami Dadeland Office
7300 North Kendall Drive
Suite 680
Miami, FL 33156

Toll Free: 877-801-4135
Phone: 305-461-9500
Fax: 786-362-7127
Map & Directions

Midtown Miami Office
3401 North Miami Avenue
Suite 209
Miami, FL 33127

Toll Free: 877-801-4135
Phone: 305-461-9500
Fax: 786-362-7127
Map & Directions

Orlando Office
801 North Magnolia Avenue
Suite 221
Orlando, FL 32803

Toll Free: 877-801-4135
Fax: 786-362-7127
Map & Directions

Email This Office