Can I have the conditions of my green card removed?

On Behalf of | Jan 29, 2017 | U.s. Permanent Residency |

Every year, people become permanent residents in the U.S. through marriage. However, obtaining a green card by tying the knot will result in a conditional resident status. If you live in Miami, Florida, or anywhere else in the country, you may be able to have the conditions of your green card removed, so long as you meet certain requirements. If you meet these requirements, you could be able to successfully remove these conditions by submitting Form I-751.

According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, people can typically have the conditions of their green cards removed under a number of circumstances. For example, if you married someone in good faith but had to exit the marriage due to severe hardships or abuse, you may be able to have the conditions removed. Moreover, if you have become a widow or have been married to an American citizen for more than two years, you can ask to have the conditions of your green card removed.

Because some people use marriage to dodge the immigration laws of the U.S., green cards issued on the basis of marriage lead to conditional permanent residence status. Once you have satisfied the requirements, you may wish to have these conditions removed. If so, you should not wait to begin the application process and should ensure that Form I-751 is completed properly.

You should remember that this post does not serve as a substitute for legal counsel and was written to offer helpful information on removing the conditions of green cards.


FindLaw Network