Can victims of abuse file Form I-360?

On Behalf of | Jun 9, 2017 | U.s. Immigration Law |

As an immigrant, or as someone who anticipates moving to the United States, you may have a myriad of questions. For example, you may be unsure about what obstacles you may face during the immigration process, or you could be stressed about the different ways your life may change. Whether you are planning on moving to Miami-Dade, or any other place in Florida, it is very important to know your rights and familiarize yourself with any helpful options. For example, if you are involved in an abusive relationship, you may want to take a look at Form I-360.

According to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services site, those who immigrated to the U.S. and were subjected to domestic violence may be approved after filing Form I-360. For example, an alien who is abused by a U.S. citizen who is his or her parent or spouse can file Form I-360. However, this form also covers other people, such as those who immigrated to the U.S. and were abused by their child who is a U.S. citizen.

When it comes to legal issues involving immigration, a whirlwind of challenges may arise. During this time, it is essential for victims of abuse to have a firm understanding of their legal rights and prevent themselves from being subjected to any more mistreatment.

Please understand that this post in no way serves as a substitute for qualified legal advice and is being offered to help provide readers with general information on immigration and domestic violence.


FindLaw Network